Woodcocks Haworth and Nuttall complaints procedure

We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. When something goes wrong we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.

Our complaints procedure

If you have a complaint, contact us with the details. What will happen next?

1. We will send you a letter acknowledging your complaint and, if necessary asking you to confirm or explain the details set out. We will also let you know the name of the person who will be dealing with your complaint. You can expect to receive our letter within 2 days of us receiving your complaint.

2. We will record your complaint in our central register and open a separate file for your complaint. We will do this within a day of receiving your complaint.

3. We will acknowledge your reply to our acknowledgement letter and confirm what will happen next. You can expect to hear from us within a day of your reply.

4. We will then start to investigate your complaint. This will normally involve the following steps:-

  • We will pass your complaint to Mrs Sara Beaumont, our Complaints Manager, within 3 days.
  • She will ask the member of staff who acted for you to reply to your complaint within 5 days;
  • She will then examine their reply and information in your complaint file and, if necessary, she may also speak to them. This will take up to 3 days from receiving their reply and the file.

5. Mrs Sara Beaumont will then invite you to meet her and discuss and hopefully resolve your complaint. She will do this within 3 days of receiving all the details we need from the member of staff who acted for you.

6. Within 2 days of the meeting, Mrs Sara Beaumont will write to you to confirm what took place and any solutions she has agreed with you. If you do not want a meeting or it is not possible, Mrs Sara Beaumont will end you a detailed reply to your complaint. This will include her suggestions for resolving the matter. She will do this within 5 days of completing her investigation

7. At this stage, if you are still not satisfied you can write to us again. We will then arrange to review our decision. This will happen in one of the following ways:-

  • Another director of the firm will review Mrs Sara Beaumont’s decision within 10 days
  • We will ask our Local Law Society or another local firm of solicitors to review your complaint within 5 days. We will let you know how long this process will take.

8. We will let you know the result of the review within 5 days of the end of the review. At this time we will write to you confirming our final position on your complaint and explaining our reasons. If you remain unhappy you may refer that matter to the Legal Ombudsman as set out below and/or you can apply to the court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. The Legal Ombudsman may not deal with the complaint where application is made to the Court for an assessment. If you are still not satisfied you can contact them about your complaint.

9. If we have to change any of the timescales above we will let you know and explain why.

10. Although we do our utmost to resolve any complaint, there may be times when you may not be entirely satisfied with the outcome. Normally, you will need to be bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written response from us about your complaint or within six years of the act or omission about which you are complaining occurring (or if outside of this period, within three years of when you should reasonably have been aware of it). The Legal Ombudsman can be contacted at PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ or by telephone on 0300 555 0333 or by internet at www.legalombudsman.org.uk.

What to do if you are unhappy with our behaviour

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.

Visit their website to see how you can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.