Woodcocks (previously known as Woodcock & Sons) was established over 200 years ago and was the oldest family firm of solicitors in England, in which the original founding family has maintained its involvement throughout the whole of its history. Although Woodcocks was an amalgam of two firms each originally founded by separate branches of the Woodcock family.
Samuel Woodcock (1764 to 1843) began practicing in Bury in February 1791 after an apprenticeship in Preston. This business was continued by his direct descendants under the title of Samuel Woodcock & Sons in Broad Street, Bury. The nephew of Samuel Woodcock, James Woodcock (1798 to 1835) began to practice as a solicitor in Haslingden in 1821 and that firm later became known as Woodcock & Sons
The two firms continued their separate ways until the Second World War, when the sole principal of the Bury firm, Major Fred Woodcock died in 1944.
As his son John had not then qualified as a solicitor, a merger of the two firms took place and the two practices amalgamated as one firm under the name of Woodcock & Sons. An interesting family tree of the Woodcock family is displayed at our main offices.
Over the years Woodcock & Sons expanded in Ramsbottom in 1872, into Rawtenstall in 1982 and then into Bacup in 1988. Woodcock & Sons also took over the practices of Whiteside and Lord in Rawtenstall, Cotton & Garnett in Haslingden and JV Pilling of Bacup
In 1993 Woodcocks took the major step of opening a Financial Services Department in order to expand its expertise and to assist clients in the difficult and complex field of financial advice.
Which leads us up to the present day when on the 20th September 2012 we became one firm under the name of Woodcocks Haworth & Nuttall.
HAWORTH & NUTTALL’S HISTORY
Haworth & Nuttall was a combination of well known and long established local firms.
In 1878 two brothers Eli and Bancroft Haworth set up in practice together as solicitors in their home town of Blackburn. For over 100 years the firm which they founded occupied premises at 7 Lord Street West originally near the fashionable town houses on King Street and close to the Cathedral and now close to the town centre precinct.
A branch office in Great Harwood opened over 85 years ago and this remains open for business today.
The premises and the practice expanded further and in 1931 George Nuttall, an Accrington solicitor joined the firm and the office in his home town was opened.
In May 1993 Haworth & Nuttall merged with Blackburn’s Riley and Co to strengthen and increase its expertise in commercial property work and then in May 1999 it merged with Whittaker Pratt and Hudson, the most senior law firm in Accrington.